This is What Happens in Your Body When You Drink Diet Soda
Many people consume diet soda on a daily basis, with a belief that it will help them lose or maintain their weight or it is just a safer option than the regular sofa drinks. This is why we are here to inform you that unfortunately, diet soda is detrimental to your overall health.
This is why the public health officials should give out warnings to the people not to consume diet soda at all, just like they should not consume regular soda as well.A PhD professor at psychological sciences and a behavioral neuroscientist at Purdue, Susan E.
Drink Diet Soda
Swithers, strongly recommends that we should limit all intake of any artificial sweeteners, including the sweeteners that have no calories. She has reviewed that the recent studies have shown that the effects of the diet soda, so it was found out that 30% of the American adults and 15% of American children consume these artificial sweetenres, such as sucralose, saccharin and aspartame.
This doctor claims that in order to find solutions for obesity and chronic diseases, there is a lot of pressure on the public health sector, and this is why there are a lot of businesses and money at stake for the food industry as it continuouslt develops and promotes this type of products.
As the leaders in the government and politicians seek various regulations and taxing in order to limit the consumption and availability, these beverages have become a political issue, and most of these measures exclude the diet soft drinks because they are all perceived as healthy.
So, when it comes to making the decision on policy, it is more important than ever thatthe science has considered and that the public has understood what the science has to say in order to make the best possible decisions regarding their overall health.
As it just may seem, the artificial sweeteners confuse the natural ability of the body to manage the calories based on tasting something that is sweet, and people tend to consume excess sweet foods, ultimately leading to a twice bigger risk of a metabolic syndrome. This is why research has proven that consuming diet soda can lead to various health issues, including:
- Metabolic syndrom and Type 2 Diabetes – in the year of 2009 the Journal Diabetes Care published a study that showed how the consumption of the diet soda is closely connected to the 36% elevated risk of metabolic syndrom and 67% increased rate of getting type 2 diabetes. Therefore, the artificial sweeteners interfere with the connection between the brain and the gut, leading to derangements in the metabolic system. A team in Israel found out that the gut bacteria can be changed by regularly consuming the diet soda, so the risk of getting a metabolic disease will definitely increase. The compounds found in the diet soda will also make you develop glucose intolerance.
- Depression – if you consume more than four cans of diet soda in a day, this is directly linked a 30 percent increased risk of depression, all the while the consumption of 4 cups of coffee will provide effects of protection and and reduce your risk of depression by 10 percent.
- Damage to the kidneys – experts at the Harvard University examined a group of people who were consuming soda drinks for a period of more than 20 years on a regular basis and found out that the increased and long term drinking of diet soda as well as regular soda will lead to a 30 percent reduction of the function in the kidneys.
- It will compromise your lungs – these are the drinks that will increase the risk of developing an asthma or COPD symptoms. According to one study conducted in Australia, the people who consumed more than two cups of soda during the day had 13.3 percent higher risk of developing asthma and 15.6 percent for the COPD symptoms.
- Prone to cardiovascular diseases – one study which was conducted from the Columbia University and the University of Miami and involved more than 2000 adults for a period of over ten years found out that the people who were consuming these drinks had a definite higher risk of having a heart attack or a stroke, and has a lot bigger chances to die because of any heart disease.
- Having a less protected brain – the common artificial sweetener in this drink, aspartame, has been found to damage the antioxidant defense system of the brain, so this is why any long term usage of this kind of drink may cause an imbalance to the pro-oxidant and antioxidant status of your brain, mostly through the mechanism which is contained in the glutathione – dependent system.
In addition to all of this, studies have also shown that these artificial sweeteners are also connected to – brain tumors; migraines and headaches; diabetes; lymphoma; depression; fatigue; Alzheimer’s disease; arthritis; anxiety; weight gain; chemical sensitivities; hearing loss; epilepsy; ADHD; chronic fatigue syndrome; fibromyalgia; Parkinson’s disease; short term memory loss; birth defects; multiple sclerosis.
Because of all this and so much more, you should definitely try and be more careful with your consumption of diet sodas, because they are so far from an alternative and healthier version to the regular soda. They will actually lead your body right into obesity, causing various other issues such as metabolic damage, heart diseases and much more.
If you are one of those people who tend to enjoy a fizzy drink, then we recommend a much healthier version for you – the kombucha!