These are the Most Common Cancer Causing Items in Your Home
A lot of the people are probably living under the assumption that their home is one of the safest places from all the dangers that can lurk in the outside world. But what they do not know is that a lot of products which we all possess, and which are known to be common household products do contain some deadly chemicals which have been proven to cause cancer, birth defects, reproductive harm and other damages to the body.
This is why in addition we give you the six worst products which you absolutely have to avoid in order to preserve the safety of yourself and your family.
Most Common Cancer Causing
- Air fresheners – they are found in many American households, but, the conventional air fresheners, as we know them, are filled with toxic substances which will leave you or your loved ones infertile, chronically ill or even brain damaged. All the tests which were conducted by the NRDC (National Resources Defence Council) found out that almost all of the air fresheners contained phthalates, which among other things mostly interferes with male hormones.
Also, a lot of the air fresheners are loaded with other volatile organic compounds too which can interfere with reproduction, cellular regeneration and respiration. A study conducted by Anne Steinemann at the University of Washington in the year of 2008 found out that all air fresheners that were tested emitted chemicals that are known to be carcinogenic, which cause cancer.
So instead of using commercial and toxic air fresheners, try turning to the all natural essential oils, which are basically applied on the skin or just released into the air as a form of a diffuser.
- Candles – similar to the product above, the scented candles are also toxic. One study which was conducted by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) found out that almost half of the scented candles which are found on the market contain lead wiring right in the wicks, which is ultimately released into the air by burning of the candle. The lead is put there to make the wicks more stable, but, unfortunately, it leads to disruption of the hormones, behavioral disorders and other health issues.
In addition to this, many candles are made with paraffin wax which, when burnt, releases two highly toxic compounds, toluene and benzene, both of which carcinogenic. All the dyes and the artificial fragrances which are present in the candles, when burned, ultimately get into your lungs.
- Art supplies – some of the mst positive aspirations in life are the cultural uprising and creativity, but not so much when it involves conventional art supplies. A lot of the glues, epoxy materials, solvents and acrylic paints, all the drawing utensils and other supplies which are used to create art contain compounds which are linked to organ damage, allergies and cancer.
The LHAMA (Labeling Hazardous Art Materials Act) requires all art supplies which are sold within the United States to bear warnings that they can cause acute hazards. But the manufacturers are not required to provide a list of ingredients to the label, which is why the people who are using these supplies should only purchase the products which are certified by the ACMI (Art and Creative Materials Institute).
These certified products undergo a list of evaluations by independent toxicologists in order to make sure that they are safe for every person, especially children.
- Conditioners and shampoos – a huge issue today is the toxins in the cosmetic products, and this is with many conventional consumer products – including some of those which are labeled as organic or natural. This is because they all contain sodium lauryl sulfate or similar compounds that can cause cancer when frequently used. Some other carcinogenic additives which are commonly used are in the hair products and are cocamide DEA and polyethylene glycol. If you want to get your hands on a list of all the eco friendly shampoos on the market, Safe Cosmetics has comprised a list, so feel free to look it up.
- Antiperspirant deodorants – millions of people from all around the world use them in their every day routine in order to reduce the armpit odor. But, the antiperspirants are a definite no when it comes to trying to avoid chemicals such as aluminium chlorohydrate, that absorbs in the skin almost instantly and promotes the formation of breast cancer. This aluminium is also believed to be the cause of various brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Some of the other toxic additives in the antiperspirant deodorants include parabens, which also promotes the growth of cancer cells in the body. They are also linked to nausea, gastrointestinal issues and central nervous system depression.
- Shower curtains – even though they prevent the water from spraying all over the bathroom floor while you’re in the shower, your average plastic shower curtain will act as a radiator for all the toxic chemical releases. As it turns out, many shower curtains are known to possess toxic ingredients which are known to damage the respiratory tract, nervous system, kidneys and liver.
So, if your shower curtain happens to have that unique new shower curtain scent, it is most likely it releases deadly chemicals – which will do a lot of harm to you as well as your children. This is why we consider this to be the main reason for you to switch to non toxic and PVC free shower curtains.