These Foods Treat Acne – Start Consuming Them Now
One of the most well known issues that people encounter with in their lives are the acne. People from various ages tend to struggle with them, and the reason for the acne is mostly either imbalance in the hormones or in the dieting plan.
There are plenty of gels and creams that promise to clear the skin, but rarely come through. Also, many of them are packed with toxic chemicals and ingredients that can cause even bigger issues later on.
Here is something we definitely need to explain to you – really, it all comes down to your hormones and your digestion. Both of them can lead to acne breakout.
Unfortunately, most of the people tend to forget how our dietary choices affect the hormone levels in our body. And another cause is the digestion.
When the body cannot completely break down all the compounds found in a certain food, it recognizes them as invaders that slow down the digestion.
But, what if there is a way for you to avoid these breakouts? There are some foods, which even though are recognized as healthy, can cause breakouts. Additionally we give you a small list of these foods and what to consume as an alternative to them.
- Greek yogurt – though it is a great source of calcium, Vitamin D, lean protein and Vitamin B12, and helps fight acne because of all the natural probiotics that are found in it, the Greek yogurt is still considered a dairy product. This means that it will cause acne. Consider removing it from your diet if you are constantly consuming it and still breaking out. You don’t have to be allergic to lactose in order to be intolerant to it. Sometimes the lean protein can be hard to break down, causing acne. The Greek yogurt also contains compounds that lead to a higher insulin outpput in the body, disrupting the normal hormone levels and again, leading to acne.
What to eat instead? You can always try soy or coconut yogurt, and make sure you choose the version without any added sugars. It is for your best interest to do so.
And, if you want to add more probiotics to your meals, opt for dark chocolate, pickles, apple cider vinegar, raw cacao powder, sauerkraut, kimchi, or any other naturally fermented food. Bottom line, you can always enjoy the Greek yogurt, but not so often, once a week would be enough.
- Citrus fruits – lemons, oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, limes – these are all great Vitamin C sources that most of the people tolerate. But what happens if you don’t tolerate them? They contain compounds called histamines which trigger a reaction similar to an allergy once they enter the body. They lead to itching, breakouts, even fatigue and headaches. They can also be found in tomatoes and strawberries, but they have the highest content in the citrus fruits.
What to eat instead? There are plenty of fruits that contain Vitamin C, and you can enjoy eating any one of them. Apples, melons, berries, and pineapples. They fight the free radicals in the body thus giving you the perfect skin complexion.
- Eggs – so, the eggs are the best source of Vitamin D but are also the most common allergenic food. And even if you’re not allergic to it, you can still not be very tolerant to the egg. This is how your breakouts happen. The eggs and all the dairy products are the ones people’s skin reacts to the most (others are the peanuts, gluten, soy and wheat). Moreover, the egg contains sulfuric compounds that cause gas, acne and bloating. They are also a natural acidic food, and we all know that the alkaline foods are a much better option than the acidic foods.
What to eat instead? Opt for foods with anti inflammatory properties such as lean fish, black beans, lentils, or even hemp seeds as a substitution for eggs in your meals. Use varieties of the egg to fill in for them when you’re baking.
- Tomatoes – they are well known antioxidants which we use to clear our skin. But, this is not always the case. They can trigger acne too. They are too filled with histamines, as well as the citrus fruits, creating a reaction in the body that results with acne breakouts. Because the tomatoes are somewhat difficult to digest and process in the body, they should sometimes be avoided.
What to eat instead? You can always turn to cucumbers, berries, yellow squash, zucchini, chopped melon and olives. All of these foods contain vitamins that will boost the health of the skin.
- Wheat products – your body may not digest wheat as easily as you think so all the waffles, wheat bread, bagels, crackers and foods that contain wheat in them are kinda bad for you. The wheat is filled with protein that often leads to inflammation.
What to eat instead? This is going to be a long list, giving the fact that there are plenty of alternatives to the wheat. Teff, millet, quinoa, amarants are all grains and also the safer option for you and your health.
You can also try wild rice and oats. And if you want to go a step further to improve and maintain your health, then eliminate all the gluten and go grain free for one month. Focus on root vegetables such as winter squash, sweet potatoes and pumpkin.
There is no need for you to throw out all of these foods at once if you have them in your kitchen now, just try to eat less of them. The acne breakouts will stop, you will see.
But if you stick to consuming them every day or several times within a week, then you will have to fully eliminate them for one month at least and see the results.
And, after the thirty days have passed, introduce one products at a time into your dietary plan and see to which one you react the most. This can be a long process, but it will all be worth it in the end – your skin will glow and you will be amazed by how improved your digestion is.
It is quite important to throw out the other potential acne triggers as well – sugar, alcohol, milk, cheese, junk food, excessive oils and foods with saturated fats.
Add more gluten free foods and also fruits and veggies to your plate, and turn to more water than coffee.Last of all, do not forget your sleep and levels of stress.
All of this can lead to hormonal imbalance and ultimately to acne. If you need help relaxing, lower your coffee intake during the day, do gentle exercises such as yoga, have a hot shower before you go to bed. Relax and cleanse your body and see what happens!