How to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
Nowadays, type 2 diabetes is one of the most common diseases in the United States and it is one that many people suffer from over their entire lifetime! Actually, the American Diabetes Association have stated that a number of 29.1 million people are suffering from diabetes, and out of them, only 1.25 million are suffering from type 1 diabetes.
This is the type that develops because of genetics and usually affects people in their early childhood.These facts all mean that most of the people who are suffering from diabetes are suffering from type 2 diabetes, the one that develops from all the lifestyle factors and very few genetic components.
Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
Well, the good news here is you can completely control and manage the type 2 diabetes. But first, let’s take a look at what the diabetes is so you can get a better understanding of how the ways of preventing it work.
So, what is type 2 diabetes? This disease is developed because the body creates an inability to process and use insulin. Commonly, this is referred as insulin resistance.
This means that even though the body is producing insulin to drive the glucose into the cells, for some reason, the body does not allow that process. The insulin resistant people have excess sugar in their bloodstream. This is a condition that affects your pancreas, kidneys and liver, leading to complications.
Some of the short and long term complications of the type 2 diabetes include – weight gain, fatigue, rapid heartbeat, anxiety, sweating, low or high blood sugar, heart complications, confusion, kidney malfunction, cataracts, headaches, nerve damage, loss of vision, weight loss, high cholesterol, extreme hunger, frequent urination, blurry vision, slow healing of wounds, infections and death.
Some of the biggest risk factors for developing the type 2 diabetes are – smoking, having a BMI bigger than 25, eating a diet filled with processed foods and high in sugar and fats, having someone in your family that suffers from diabetes type 1 or 2, not exercising and not staying active, high blood pressure, excessive drinking, ethnicity and high glucose intolerance.
But, as bad as the risk factors and complications are, there are many ways for you to ease the symptoms and prevent them from affecting you in any way. This is why we will present you with some ways to prevent or even reverse the complications and symptoms of the disease, even if you already have it.
- Quit smoking or don’t even start – one of the major contributing risks for most of the major diseases, including type 2 diabetes is smoking. If you don’t smoke, don’t take upon this awful habit, and if you already are a smoker, then go to a doctor in order to help you quit. This major change will not only prevent you from getting diabetes type 2, but it will keep you safer from other major diseases such as cancer or a heart disease.
- Exercise on a daily basis – it is good to move, even if you move just half an hour in a day. By exercising and staying active you will help your body use the insulin efficiently and you can dramatically lower your blood sugar levels. And if you cannot exercise on a daily basis, walk to work, do more errands, use a standing desk at work, and try to fit in a fitness class at least five times in a week, or at least take an hour walk three to four times in a week.
- Eat well – obviously, the best way to reverse and prevent type 2 diabetes is through the food you consume. Your body requires healthy nutrients in order to work in an optimal way. This means that you should consume veggies, calcium and magnesium filled foods, fruits, healthy fats, nuts, seeds, avocados, lean proteins and very little processed foods. Just remember to eat regular meals and eat in smaller portions.
- Love all of your veggies – even though the veggies are considered to be very healthy and should take up a regular part in your meal, most of the people do not incorporate them in their day to day dieting plan. This is why you need to make sure that the veggies are always on your plate, because they will not only protect you from type 2 diabetes, they are a great source of fiber and minerals.
- Prioritize your beverages – drink more coffee, green tea, herbal tea and of course water instead of consuming milk and juices. Whatever you do, you absolutely have to limit the soda intake, sports and energy drinks, and alcohol. If you’re craving for a juice, take an orange juice, or make your own veggie juice.
- Consume fiber – fiber is of utmost importance if you want to stabilize your blood sugar levels. It will not only slow down the release of sugar into the bloodstream, but it will keep you full too.
- Pick up a piece of fruit for dessert – if you’re craving for something sweet, go for the healthier option and pick up fruit instead of chocolate. Choose berries, an apple, pineapple, oranges and improve your health.
If you want more tips on how to prevent the type 2 diabetes, efficiently manage your stress levels and focus on improving your overall lifestyle. This means moving on a regular basis, daily exercise, eating healthy and pick only high quality foods!