Science Backed Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet
For long term results, we all know that it is best to find one manageable diet and stick with it for as long as we can. The problem here is that there are so many different dieting plans out there that when the time comes to choose one, we are confused among all the options that are left on the table.
Plus, most of the diets out there can restrict you to a very small section of foods that you might even not enjoy. This drives a lot of people to throw in the towel and give up on a dieting plan before it’s even started.
http://wc8voa.org/modules.php?set_albumname=album11op=modloadname=galleryfile=indexinclude=view_album.php Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet
But, in order to help you not give up on your health yet, take a quick look at the Mediterranean diet.
And what actually is the Mediterranean diet? This diet works by giving your body enough supplies with the meal plan filled with healthy carbs, decent amounts of protein, and even a few healthy fats.
This was a dieting plan which was originally introduced by the American scientist Ancel Keys. This diet was mostly based on the dietary plans of the people who are living near the Mediterranean Ocean, such as the people in Greece, Italy and Spain.
While you are on this particular dieting plan, your plate will be filled with salads, veggies, and even small portions of meat, and you can find a slice of bread every once in a while. As side dishes, you can also expect to find pasta, cheeses, and desserts.
In addition to all of this, we give you some of the benefits that you will enjoy if you decide to try out this dieting plan.
- enter site Will help you protect against diseases – shockingly, the diabetes affects a huge part of the US citizens with each passing year, and it is impacting people with an even greater rate than ever before. There was a study in Greece that observed about 3000 people who were on the Mediterranean diet, and found about 49-62% decrease in the chances of diabetes in those people who were practicing this dieting plan. If you happen to be suffering from diabetes, your diet probably already consists of healthy fats, low sugar and fresh produce, so if you want to follow a properly structured diet then give the Mediterranean diet a go.
- get link Will aid you in preventing any heart disease or a stroke – there was a study in the year of 2013 published in the New England Journal of Medicine which stated that about 30% of the strokes, heart attacks and deaths can be prevented. If you see the whole picture, there is an explanation that the Mediterranean diet, if tried to lower these risks has a very low factor, but the benefits are mostly to people who have had some weight loss, which was brought by this dieting plan, so we can connect the Mediterranean diet, but not completely. You will only feel the major improvements if you use this diet as a weight loss helper.
- Can help you fight against cancer – here are a lot of researches coming your way. First, a study which was published in the European Journal of Cancer Prevention claims that the biological mechanisms to the prevention of cancer from the Mediterranean diet have made a favorable effect because of the omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, high amounts of fiber, antioxidants, and polyphenols which are usually found in fruits, veggies, olive oil and wine. Another study found in the British Journal of Cancer found that by simply taking two aspects of the Mediterranean diet you can cut your risk of developing cancer. These two aspects are consuming more beans, peans and lentils and consuming more healthy fats. Finally, a health informant at the Cancer Research UK claimed that all of these researches highlight the importance of maintaining a balanced and healthy diet in order to reduce the risk of cancer. There are a number of things that you can do and there is no such thing as only one super food.
- May reduce your risk of a neurological disease – there is a speculation among researchers that the Mediterranean diet has great effects with improving the cholesterol, the blood sugar levels and creates stronger and healthier blood vessels, which are major factors in reducing the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Because this is a diet that will encourage you to consume probiotic foods such as kefir or yogurt, you are more likely to cultivate a gut environment that is healthier. There is an improvement in the brain function from the probiotic foods too.
- Your longevity be increased – there was a recent study from Brigham and Women’s Hospital as well as from Harvard Medical School found that the women who stuck to the Mediterranean diet had longer telometers, which are thread like structures that are housing your DNA. As you get older, these telometers get shorter, and are associated with shorter life expectancy, various diseases and death.
- Finally, you can lose weight – you are able to change your diet to fit all of your specific needs, so this is why you can choose the intake of protein while lowering your carb intake by consuming more seafoods, as well as quality probiotics and omega 3s filled dairy products. You can even build in a calorie deficit into your dieting plan, and consume a lot less calories. Combine this with some exercises and you get the perfect recipe for weight loss.
We hope that we have convinced you to start with the Mediterranean diet right away!