These Popular Brands of Tea Bags Contain High Amounts of Pesticides
Even though the pesticides are useful for destroying pests that are damaging to the crops, these substances can severely damage your health. Unfortunately, many products on the market have a high content of these substances.
Recently, it was discovered that several popular tea brands contain high levels of toxic pesticides. Among these brands of tea are Lipton, Tetley, and Twinings.
Tea Brands That Contain Illegal Amounts of Pesticides
A CBC News investigation analyzed the following major tea-producing companies in terms of the pesticide levels contained in their products:
- Lipton (Yellow Label Black Tea and Pure Green Tea)
- Uncle Lee’s Legends of China (Green Tea and Jasmine Green Tea)
- Red Rose
- No Name
- King Cole
The investigators from CBC tested the pesticide residue on dry tea leaves in an accredited lab. According to the findings, more than half of the tea brands that were included in the testing contained pesticide residue which was above the legally accepted limit.
Furthermore, they discovered that eight out of ten of the tested teas contain various chemicals. The investigators also found out that one of these teas contains more than 22 types of pesticides.
Two kinds of pesticides, endosulfan and monocrotophos, that were discovered in the tested teas, are substances which are proven to be dangerous to the environment and the human health.
Best and Worst Brands of Tea
Even though most of the analyzed tea brands, except for one, contain pesticide residue, a number of brands were found to be highest in pesticides, while the others contained allowed amounts. Here is a list of the tea brands that have the highest amount of pesticide residues:
- King Cole – Although this tea brand doesn’t contain many pesticides, it is packed with several toxic substances, including the chemical monocrotophos which has been linked to involuntary defecation and arrhythmias. In some cases, this chemical is considered to be responsible for inducing comas.
- No Name – The analyses have shown that more than 10 different types of pesticides are contained in this tea brand.
- Uncle Lee’s Legends of China (Green Tea) – This brand of tea has been found to contain more than 20 types of pesticides, including endosulfan which consumption can severely affect the nervous system, and, in some cases, it can lead to death.
According to the CBC’s investigation, only one brand, out of the ten analyzed tea brands, was found to be completely free of pesticides. The brand that doesn’t contain any pesticides and toxic chemicals is Red Rose.
This investigation shows that the consumption of most of the tea brands of the largest manufacturers can be a serious threat to your health. Instead of risking your health, you should always choose safe pesticide-free products.