Increase Your Mood With These Amazing Foods
Do you have any idea what the serotonin does to your body? It is capable of so many things. For an example, this hormone influences your entire mood.
It has an impact on how fast you fall asleep, how you cope with stress and what kind of an outlook you have on life. So, naturally, when a person is deficient in serotonin, the depression period arises.
There are some tricks that will help you get your serotonin level back up again, but you are going to need to do it through the food you consume.
Are you ready to do that? If you are, then continue reading, for we have some of the best meals that will help you create a better verion of yourself.
But first, a little science. In order for the serotonin to be released in the body, the order has to go through the neurotransmitter tryptophan. This neurotransmitter releases the serotonin through the entire nervous system, thus instantly increasing the mood and the level of energy in the body.
Another way to boost the level of serotonin in the body is with the hormone cortisol intake.
This is why we need to focus on consuming foods rich in tryptophan and cortisol in order to boost our mood. In addition, here are some foods which will definitely come in handy to you!
- Sweet potatoes – this is one of the superfoods of today, because they are rich in complex carbs and low glycemic index, making them perfect for keeping your sugar levels within normal boundaries. Furthermore, other than being filled with many vitamins and minerals, the sweet potatoes are an excellent source of the the amino acid tryptophan. Now, since they are practically made out of coplex carbs, boosting the serotonin level will last for a longer period of time because the complex carbs need more time for the body to process them, keeping you upbeat for a long period of time.
- Oats – feel free to eat oats for breakfast, in whichever way you like, beccause whatever way you choose, you are going to get the same nutritious value out of them. They are an excellent source of protein, fiber, and high in tryptophan. No matter which way you choose to consume them, they are an excellent serotonin boosting food!
- Berries – did you expect for this fruit to get on this list? Well, because they all contain amino acids, are great antioxidants, and high in fiber, they are great for your weight, mood, blood sugar levels. You can add them in your oatmeal for breakfast, put them in a smoothie, or make a jucie out of them. Eat them raw if you like, it does not matter, as long as you do consume them.
- Maca – let’s explain this one first. Maca, or Maca root, is a root from Peru that is a member of the same family of plants as broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts and cabbage. This is undoubtedly one of the best foods you can consume in order to increase your level of serotonin. Maca is sold in the USA as a golden and yellow powder with a caramel like flavor. Be careful on how you consume it, make sure you eat it only in the mornings, for it might boost the energy levels rapidly if you eat it in the evening. This is a great addition to your food plan if you are suffering from great levels of stress. It is also a great option for women who are suffering from a hormonal disbalance. The maca can pair well with spinach, cocoa, berries, acai, so feel free to make some crazy combinations of your own.
- Spinach and kale – well of course we would have mentioned the leafy green veggies! They are rich in amino acids, tryptophan included. You can enjoy them raw or cooked, several times a day, because they are also rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin B, iron and magnesium. You cannot pick a better food than this one!Berries
- Chia – this seed is considered to be a nutritious bomb! Magnesium, amino acids and Vitamin B, what more can you get from only one kind of seed? These nutrients will act as a cleanser to your body, boosting the mood rapidly. You just have to be careful on how much chia you consume during the day. It expands in the stomach when you mix it with any liquid, especially water, so consume lightly and listen to your body.
- Lentils – these legumes are filled with protein, iron, Vitamin B and fiber making them the perfect choice if you want to improve your mood, overall health, weight, metabolism and hormones. They let the serotonin to be boosted in a natural way. Remember, the red lentils are the ones that are more easily digested, and you can even serve the for dinner to improve the quality of your sleep and give you more energy the following morning.
- Yogurt – it is high in amino acids, especially tryptophan. It will boost your overall mood in an instant. Mix it with berries, oatmeal or whatever you please to create a nutritious meal. If you are lactose intolerant, you can always switch to plain soy yogurt, with no sugar or a minimal amount of it.
- Bananas – the bananas are best eaten ripe, because then you fully take advantage of this amazing fruit and it’s nutrients. The banana is filled with tryptophan, Vitamin B, magnesium, potassium, Vitamin C and even So, if you do not consume bananas on a daily basis, after reading this, revise your choice and run to the store to buy some!
- Winter squash – all of the food included in this area, pumpkin, acorn, kabocha, butternut, are powerful serotonin foods. Squash is a great choice, and this is because it is filled with carbs, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, magnesium, iron, fiber, omega 3 fatty acids and even water. You can cook it whole, then take out the seeds and enjoy it!
Final saying on this subjest is that after you’ve consumed any of these foods, try not do consume foods that would disturb the creation of serotonin in the body. This means that by any chance, try to avoid processed foods, fast foods, foods high in fat, sugar and foods with too much protein per serving.
Other than this, you should be set and on the right track to a happier tomorrow!